Dr Varun Mittal specializes in Kidney Transplant and Advanced Robotic Urologic Cancer Surgery. His area of interest are swap / paired kidney exchange, ABO/HLA incompatible and deceased organ kidney transplants. He has been one of the key persons in successful kidney transplant program in eminent institutes for over a decade. His academic career has been studded with achievements and has been awarded with Gold medal for best robotic surgery video by AMASI. He is a recipient of International Travel fellowship award by American Urologic Association in 2015. He has authored many book chapters and research articles. He has presented various research papers, posters, surgical videos in various urologic and organ transplant conferences both national and international forums.
- Urological Society of India
- North Zone Urological Society of India
- American Urology Association
- Indian American Urology Association
- Indian society of organ Transplant
- Robotic Urology Forum
- Kidney Transplant
- ABO incompatible kidney Transplant
- SWAP (Paired kidney Exchange ) Kidney Transplant
- Vascular Access: AV fistula
- CAPD Catheter Insertion
- Robotic Surgery for all Urologic Cancers including radical prostatectomy, Partial Nephrectomy, Cystectomy, Adrenalectomy
- Laparoscopic, Endourologic and open procedures
Awards & Honors:
- Dr. C Palanivelu Best Video Gold Medal, AMASICON, December 2017, Kochi
- Second Best Poster award at Robotic Urology Forum 2017, Mumbai, India
- International Scholarship Award: Vattikuti International Scholar, 2016
- International Fellowship/ Award: AUA – USI Olympus International Resident Travel fellowship Award, 2015
- Second Best Poster prize at UAUCON 2015, Lucknow, India
- Honors in Biochemistry, October 2001
- Honors in Pharmacology, October 2002
- Honors in Microbiology, October 2002
- Honors in ENT, October 2003
- Runners up in Maharashtra state level ENT quiz, 2003
- Runners up in Maharashtra state level SURGERY quiz, 2004
- Third position in Maharashtra state level CARDIOLOGY Quiz, 2004
1. Mandhani A, Mittal V,Bhaskar V, Srivastava A. Prostate-specific antigen screening of men with lower urinary tract symptoms (opportunistic screening) and of asymptomatic men undergoing executive health check: an audit from two institutions. Indian Journal of Urology: IJU: Journal of the Urological Society of India. 2021 Apr;37(2):159.
2. Mittal V, Srivastava A, Kapoor R, Lal H, Javali T, SurekaS, PatidarN, Arora S, Kumar M. Management of venous hypertension following arteriovenous fistula creation for hemodialysis access: a critical appraisal, Indian J Urol. 2016 Apr-Jun; 32(2): 141–148.doi: 10.4103/0970-1591.174779
3. Mittal V, Kapoor R, Sureka S, Patidar N, Arora S, Kumar M, Raj A, Kudchadkar S.Standardized Grading of Shock Wave Lithotripsy Complications with Modified Clavien System.Urol Int. 2016; 97(3):273-278. Epub 2016 Aug 10. DOI: 10.1159/000446968
4. Mittal V,Sureka S, Kapoor R.Vesicocutaneous Fistula after Sliding Hernia Repair, Indian J Urol. 2016 Jan-Mar; 32(1): 77–78. doi: 10.4103/0970-1591.173120
5. Mittal, V, Aulakh, BS, Daga G. Benign renal angiomyolipoma with inferior vena cava thrombosis.Urology. 2011 Jun; 77(6):1503-6. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2011.01.039. Epub 2011 Apr 13. DOI: 10.1016/j.urology.2011.01.039
6. Mittal V, Mandhani A, Majumdar G. Simultaneous transdiaphragmatic approach for wedge resection of the solitary ipsilateral lung metastasis in renal cell carcinoma. Indian J SurgOncol. 2016 Mar; 7(1): 98–100. Published online 2015 Oct 13. doi: 10.1007/s13193-015-0471-3
7. Mittal V,Rupala KK, Yadav R, Suryavanshi M. Giant Sarcomatoid carcinoma with osseous metaplasia from urinary bladder diverticulm. Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology, 8(3), 436-439
8. Srivastava A, Mittal V, Lal H, Javali T, Patidar N, Sureka S, Aggarwal, S. Spiral Laminar Flow, the earliest predictor for maturation of Arteriovenous Fistula for Haemodialysis access. Indian J Urol. 2015 Jul-Sep;31(3):240-4. DOI:10.4103/0970-1591.159650
9. Sureka SK, Srivastava A, Agarwal S, Srivastava A, An S, Singh S, Mittal V, Patidar N, Kapoor R, Ansari MS. Prevention of orchialgia after left sided laparoscopic donor nephrectomy – A prospective study, J Endourol. 2015 Jun; 29(6):696-9. doi: 10.1089/end.2014.0645. Epub 2015 Jan 28.
10. Patidar N, Mittal V, Kumar M, Sureka S K, Arora S, Ansari M S. Transcutaneous posterior tibial nerve stimulation in pediatric overactive bladder: A preliminary report, J Pediatr Urol. 2015 Dec;11(6):351.e1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2015.04.040. Epub 2015 Jul 29.
11. Arora S, Srivastava A, Sureka S, Mittal V,Patidar N, Kumar M, Kapoor R. Forgotten reminders: an experience with managing 28 forgotten double J- stents and management of related complications, Indian Journal of Surgery,DOI - 10.1007/s12262-015-1229-4.
12. Arora S, Yadav P, Kumar M, Singh SK, Sureka SK, Mittal V, Ansari MS. Predictors of outcome of antenatally detected hydronephrosis due to pelviureteric junction obstruction; a single centre prospective multivariate analysis, J Pediatr Urol. 2015 Oct;11(5):248.e1-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2015.02.008. Epub 2015 Mar 13.
13. Arora S, Kapoor R, Yadav P, Mittal V, Sureka SK, Kapoor D. Transvaginal cystocele repair using a customized bell shaped prolene mesh- Long term functional analysis. Indian J Urol. 2015 Oct-Dec;31(4):339-43. Doi: 10.4103/0970-1591.166470.
14. Kumar M, Mittal V, Ansari MS, Singh SK, Arora S, Kapoor R, Srivastava A. Follow up imaging after paediatricpyeloplasty.Indian J Urol. 2016 Jul-Sep; 32(3): 221–226. Doi: 10.4103/0970-1591.185090
15. Patidar N, Yadav P, Sureka SK, Mittal V, Kapoor, Mandhani A. An audit of complications of radical cystectomy with orthotopicneobladder as per ClavienDindo classification.Indian J Urol. 2016 Oct-Dec; 32(4): 282–287.doi: 10.4103/0970-1591.191244
16. Singla S, Mittal G, Mittal V. Feasibility of laparoscopic total extra peritoneal inguinal hernia repair under regional anesthesia. Journal of anesthesia and clinical pharmacology, 2009: 25, (3); 367-368.
17. Aulakh NK, Aulakh BS, Mittal V, Daga G. Vaginal mass with urinary incontinence: a rare presentation. Urology. 2012 Jan;79(1):115-8. Doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2011.02.003. Epub 2011 Apr 15. DOI:10.1016/j.urology.2011.02.003
18. Daga G, Mittal V, Virk SS. Epithelial cyst of the spleen. J Indian AssocPediatr Surg. 2011 Jan;16(1):18-20. Doi: 10.4103/0971-9261.74516.
19. Daga G, Mittal V, Virk SS. Filiform ulcerative colitis-rare entity captured. Trop Gastroenterol. 2012 Jul-Sep;33(3):238.PMID: 23600065
20. Daga G, Mittal V, Sharma S. Bilateral aldosterone producing Adrenal adenoma: a rare entity. Indian J SurgOncol. 2017 Mar;8(1):88-90. Doi: 10.1007/s13193-016-0563-8. Epub 2016 Oct 18.
21. Ketankumar R, Mittal V, Gupta R, Yadav R. Pheochromocytoma with central nervous system Vasculitis, Indian J Urol. 2017 Jan-Mar; 33(1): 82–84. Doi: 10.4103/0970-1591.195760
22. Sureka SK, Patidar N, Mittal V, Kapoor R, Srivastava A, Kishore K, Dhiraj S, Ansari MS. Safe and optimal pneumoperitoneal pressure for transperitoneal laparoscopic renal surgery in infant less than 10 kg, looked beyond intraoperative period: A prospective randomized study. J Pediatr Urol. 2016 Oct;12(5):281.e1-281.e7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2016.01.014. Epub 2016 Mar 4.
23. Mahapatra A, Mittal V, Bansal S. Renal transplant: An Overview and post-surgical critical care
24. Bharti M, Yadav RN, Mittal V,Uroflowmetry and Urodynamics, Case studies in Nephrology, 2021.
25. Mittal V,Gautam G. Robot assisted radical prostatectomy: Proceedings of Surgical Update 2015, MAMC
26. Mittal V, Gupta N P. Role of pelvic Lymphadenectomy in Robot assisted radical prostatectomy, Practical approach to Robotic Surgery, 2016.https://books.google.co.in/books?isbn=938626126X.
27. Miital V, Khera R. Acute retention of urine; Emergency Medicine, 2016.
28. Ahluwalia P, Mittal V, Yadav R. Management of Hematuria; Emergency Medicine, 2016.
29. Mittal V,Khera R. Catheter associated Urinary tract infections. UTI update, 2016.